Kiwi Observatory is located in Timaru, a city in the province of South Canterbury,
- The observatory is home to a 12 inch truss Newtonian on a Skywacther EQ8 mount.
- A Celestron 11 inct SCT telescope on a Skywatcher EQ8 mount which is on a Pier tech hrdraullic mount.
- Our other outreach and star party scopes are, Skywatcher 180mm Mak with Schott optics, 9.25 inch Dobsonian, and a six inch dobsonian telescopes.
- We also use a 80mm APO refractor on a Meade LX80 mount.
- For solar observing we use Coronado Solarmax II deadicated solar instruments on computerised mount.
- Even though we are located in Timaru we have great views of the Milky Way, due in some respect to the large park next door to our location.
Public Observing & Education
- Community groups and individuals are welcome at Kiwi Observatory for observing & education of whats in the night sky.
- Community & School groups are free.
- Public observing sessions, donation to off set equipment up keep.
- Our tours consist of observatory tour, presentation and observing.
- Amateur astronomers on hand to inform and teach you about the objects in the night sky.
- Modern DIY unique sliding domed observatory with research grade telescopes.
- Contact us to organise a tour or click on the booking icon.
Learn how to use telescopes
- Aligning your telescope
- Using GOTO computerised telescopes
- Interfacting with your computer
- Wide field astro photography
- Using cameras with telescopes
- Contact us for a quote.